Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gone Country

For Miranda's birthday, we had a "Farm Theme" party. After it was over, I just kept thinking, "that was so much fun." I think all the kids really loved it, too...I posted a ton of pictures because I had two fabulous photograhpers (Jeremy's aunt Dede and my cousin Corie) share their pictures with me and they all turned out so great. I have been planning on doing the farm party theme (how could I resist with Mark and Merilynn's beautiful setting and pet chickens and goats?) for about six months so it gave me plenty of time to look for ideas and snatch up farm-related items whenever I saw a good deal.

We had tractor rides, horse rides, gathered eggs from the chickens, fed the goats/chickens, 4-wheeler rides, face painting, presents and a game for the kids, lunch/cupcakes/ice-cream, and stick horse races. Although I had been planning this for a long time, you would think I would have had it all ready well in advance--but I was still up late and (very late) some nights last week getting it all ready. The biggest problem is the cake, which mostly has to be done the day before, but also the stick horses. I didn't discover a tutorial for them until the week before the party. They are made out of a sock, yarn, buttons, felt, and a large dowel. I instantly fell in love with them, and I'm so glad I sacrificed sleep for them--they were so cute and such a fun party favor. There were a few times I didn't think I would have time, but thanks to Holli and my mom, I was able to finish them the day before the party!

The only bad part of the party was when Miranda got thrown off the horse (it got startled). She landed on her elbows/back, but was okay. Jeremy even talked her into getting back on, and she was so brave, she did! Here is a picture after she was thrown off. She only had a scrape on one elbow and a light bruise. We're really lucky--next time we'll be sure to get helmets!
I should probably label all the pictures below, but I really need to get some work done tonight. So I'll just end with a good 'ol "Yee-Haw"!













4 comments:

Emily said...

Looks like fun! And seriously, how adorable are those stick horses & the farm cupcakes?! You are too talented!

Elaina Lindberg said...

Those cupcakes are to die for!! How cute. The horses turned out great, too. I haven't seen you for a while...your hair looks so cute! Sounds like you had a great day!

Jen said...

Looks like it was fabulous! So cute!

Angie said...

How fun! That is definitely a party to remember. I love Miranda's long curls!