Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Birthday Countdown

For the past month, Miranda has been so excited that her birthday is "next", so every day, she would ask if it was her birthday yet. So, I decided to make a paper chain with her to help give her some perspective. She loves tearing off a link each night but she's super excited for the three at the top that are after her birthday, counting down three days until her party!
She's having a farm theme party this year. I thought it would be fun for her to let her cousins share a little of the excitement of gathering eggs at her Grandparent's house. Miranda gets to feed the chickens and goats and gather the chicken eggs every week when we go to there. Anyway, in preparation for the party, I bought some little plastic farm animals for the kids but wanted to make them "more fun". So, I cut out some green, brown, and blue pieces of felt for grass, gardens, a pond, and some good old mud. I've made little 'troughs' for the animals to eat and drink from, too. But the best are the red barns. Merilynn designed them and helped me sew them--she is SO talented and they turned out far better than I had imagined. Here's a sneak peak:

This is after they're sewn, but before paint.

Waiting for the paint to dry. Merilynn also had some farm print flannel she was going to make Bradley some pajamas with, but when Miranda saw it, she fell in love with it. So, Merilynn and I spent a chunk of the weekend designing (and her sewing) a nightgown that wouldn't look too masculine or pioneer-ish despite the brown colors and tractors. It turned out cute, but most importantly she feels beautiful in it and loves it. I'm glad she doesn't need pink tutus and bows to feel like a princess! Lastly, for Miranda's actual birthday (not her party) she wanted a cake of course. Knowing I had a lot to do for her party and my work this week, I carefully to her, "yes, I'll make cupcakes" to which she quickly responded, "No! I don't want muffins! I want CAAAKE!" Luckily for my time schedule, I had a perfect 9" round cake in the freezer already with a crumb coat on it. After thawing and tinting store-bought frosting (cream cheese flavor of course) a pretty pink--ta da! A pink cake she was so excited about eating that she started to 'bless it' while I was trying to take pictures of her and the cake! I love that girl! Happy birthday, sweetie!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Miranda! Blake must know that it's her b-day today too, because when I asked him what he what we should cook for dinner he said "ummmmm....a birthday cake!"

Jen said...

Those barns are so stinkin cute! :)

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

WoW! Those party favors, night gown, and the cake are darling. What a good mom you are! How cute she was all ready to pray and eat the cake.