Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Homemade Christmas 09: Part Four and Quick Tutorial

These are the felt cookies I made for Miranda. (I'm sorry the picture is really terrible.) I started on these after the sandwiches, which were fun at first, but then got very boring to sew. These cookies were a fun outlet after that! I had initially thought to just do an Oreo, but ended up scouring Google for more and more pictures of cookies to create.

I was a little surprised that some of my fellow crafters guessed what I was making when I posted a sneak peak back in October. I thought it looked like parts to a robot or something! Anyway, I made up all these cookies myself, so here is a quick tutorial for some Windowpane Cookies.

Materials Needed:
Light tan felt (less than half a sheet)
Red felt (scrap piece no bigger than 4"x4")
Sewing Machine (but these could also be hand sewn, too)
Scissors
Pinking Shears

1. Cut out two matching squares or rectangles of the tan felt. These are about 3"X4.5". I made a few, though, and ended up liking the square ones better. Cut those about 3.5"X3.5". On one of the pieces, find the center and cut out a window, about 1"X2", rounding edges in.

Then cut out a red piece (half an inch smaller on all sides) than the tan pieces.

Here are all three pieces:


2. Take the top piece with the window cut-out and the red piece and sew together in the middle, staying as close to the window as possible.

After sewn, your cookie would like this on the back side.

3. Place all three pieces together now, sandwiching the red piece in the middle.4. Sew around the outside edge, leaving about 1/4" to 1/2" edge.
5. Trim the edges with the Pinking Shears to make the edges scalloped. (I'm sorry I don't have a decent picture of this final step, or the final cookies with their scalloped edges. Oops.)

But here's the happy ending that really matters:
And I can't tell you how happy I was to find two little cookies in the "oven" later this week. It makes all the splits in my fingers and the naptimes spent sewing more than worth it!

1 comments:

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

So cute! I need to make some more felt food. I got burned out after making that entire cheeseburger. :)