Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Homemade Christmas 09: Part Six

Note: The following posts numbered six through three are all actually just part of the felt play food I made for Miranda and some of her cousins/friends. I was just too overwhelmed to put it all into one long post, so I broke it down.

This is what started it all for me--the making of felt food. I never had a desire to do it--it seems so tedious, and actually kind of stupid I'll admit. BUT I saw this free pattern for a felt sandwich and chips on SnazzleCraft. How I ever came across her post/tutorial will remain a blogging mystery. Never the less, thank you for your inspiration, SnazzleCraft!!!

I loved the sandwich idea--something for the kid to DO, rather than just take itchy bites of felt (you know at least Miranda really bites this stuff, despite my trying to her to pretend.)

Let's get started with a basic for the tots--PB&J! Start by spreading the peanut butter...
then the grape jelly...
and press the bread on tight! Yum! I can taste it now... But if you're in the mood for something, say more healthy, how about a turkey sandwich with everything on it--swiss and cheddar cheese, tomato, lettuce--and when I said 'everything', Miranda always likes to include the peanut butter and jelly too!
P.S. The chips turned out so cute, too--definitely a favorite with the kids. I added an inner lining of plastic (from an empty bag of wipes) so the bag really makes crinkling noises as they pull their chips out. But I don't have good pictures of it. Check out SnazzleCraft's posts if you want to see how adorable they are.

P.S.S. You may notice, if you happen to read all the felt food posts, that there aren't a lot of healthy food choices. I want to say that I did try to make some fruit--I even bought a pattern from an Etsy Seller--(whom I won't name,) but hated how they turned out. I did an apple and a banana and they both looked ridiculous, so I called it quits on doing healthy food. It is just for play, after all, right?

3 comments:

Hilary said...

so you're totally freakin amazing. That has got to be the cutest thing I've ever seen. Makes me wish I were crafty. :(

Emily said...

Amazing! I love how they all turned out, and Miranda seems to be a huge fan as well. Both you and one of my sis-in-laws have done some super cute felt food so I thought I'd try it out for B's friend that was getting a kitchen for Xmas. I found a pattern for a pear, orange, apple, peach & strawberries that all turned out great (except for the peach). Remind me & I'll pass it on to you! I also got creative and tried some cookies, pancakes & eggs. I don't think I could ever master those adorable cakes that you did though, they look good enough to eat! Really fun, but I know what you're saying about the cracked fingers!! ;)

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

I definitely want to make this! :) You sure make some fun things for your kids!