Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dinner Trade Group

I don't have to cook for a whole week! (except on the weekend) Our family is doing a "dinner trade group" with four other neighbors and I LOVE it! What we do is this: each family cooks one night a week, Monday through Thursday, and then has dinner brought to them the other three nights of the week. We each have small families about the same size and we just provide the main course and one side dish.

I could go on and on about this, but if you want to know more, Heather, one of my group members, set up a website to let people know about this great idea. Check it out at dinnertrade.com I'd be more than happy to tell you more about it, too, if you think you'd be interested in trying it with your neighbors. Here's the best part: we have five families in our group and only wanted meals Mon - Thurs (not on the weekends), so once a month I don't have to cook at all that week!

This week was my week off, so I've been enjoying it thoroughly. Jeremy and I have been enjoying cooking more on the weekends and nights since we haven't been doing dinners. Here's some delicious pics for you to sample:

For Merilynn's birthday on Sunday, she wanted chicken noodle soup, so he made it from scratch--even the noodles! I LOVE Jeremy's homemade noodles. And did you see that yummy treat peeking out from behind the pot? That's Jeremy's homemade apple pie and oh, that crust is to die for! And then my fun for the week was the plum jam I made last night. I haven't made plum before, but my fried Gwen, (from the dinner group), gave us all a bunch of plums and I wanted to do something fun with them. The recipe wasn't on the Sure-Jell website, so I had to find one online. It turned out fine, but next time I'll look for one that doesn't call for pureed fruit and uses less sugar. (This is on a slice of Merilynn's homemade honey wheat bread.)
Okay, I'm hungry now...Is it time for dinner yet? We have Chicken Alfredo coming tonight and a Salad Bar tomorrow night.

5 comments:

Karie said...

I'm so jealous! I love the dinner-trading idea. Brilliant!

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Dinner trading sounds so nice! Also, that pie looks awesome!

Hilary said...

ok, you've sold me! I'm totally regretting not getting in on your dinner trade group!

Emily said...

Sounds like a great idea! And we know from personal experience that anyone who gets to enjoy the Lloyd's good home-cooking is lucky!

Heather said...

I agree with that. Heidi's food is definitely a highlight of the week. You are totally missing out Hilary!