Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Not Nesting

Jeremy says I'm "nesting". I hate when he says that. I prefer the term "preparing". "Nesting" makes me think of our family dog, Tootsie, when she was pregnant, panting and scratching for hours at the blankets in her cardboard box to fluff them up. My sisters and I asked our mom what she was doing, and my mom said she was "nesting". That's what I think of when I hear that term.
So, anyway. We have been preparing for the baby, and we're mostly ready. I think it's like preparing for your wedding or even for Christmas, though, you could just keep adding projects and never be really be ready, no matter when the Big Day is--not to mention emotionally and mentally ready, too. Only five more days to go, ready or not!
Jeremy's way more excited and ready than me, but he's always been that way about kids. I love that he's such a natural at being a dad. He helps me feel more at peace about the new arrival and the changes our baby boy will bring.
I am excited about the projects we've done to get ready, too. Here are some details:

This is something I didn't have with Miranda, but I thought would be nice, especially for a winter baby. I don't know what this is called exactly, but I call it a car seat tent. It's made out of super soft white fleece with blue argyle straps on the handle. My mom sewed it for me and whipped it up in about 20 minutes. I think I'll really like it. Miranda has been playing with it, and putting her dollies in and out of it.


These are pictures of the nursery. I love how it turned out. It was a lot of planning and designing how to change it into a "boy theme" while working with the black furniture and the red rocker. And to keep it within budget. I shopped for the perfect fabric for a long time, and finally found the print with dots that had red in them. I wanted it to be modern but still juvenile, and I wanted to bring in other colors than just having red, black, and white. I like the dog theme, and I like that it's a subtle dog theme, too, not over-the-top. I painted the dog pictures and re-vamped Miranda's crib mobile with the puppies, but my mother-in-law Merilynn, sewed all the pieces--the diaper stacker, the crib bumper, the crib skirt, and the table linens. She did it in less than two days and didn't use any patterns or anything. She is so talented and it all turned out perfect.





On the diaper stacker, I used a drawing from one of my paintings to use as a pattern for embroidering the dog detail.

6 comments:

H Yoho said...

Wow that really turned out so cute! There was a lot of talent that pulled that together too. He's one lucky little kid so far.

The Gough's said...

Soo cute! I am so excited for you and your soon to be family of 4!

Unknown said...

You, your mom, and your mother-in-law, are very talented!! What a cute room! I love the dog theme for a boy, and the pokadots are great! So cute. Can't wait to see him in his room, he will love it!

Emily said...

I'm LOVING it! The fabric you picked is perfect and you ladies are such seamstresses. I also have to compliment you on the paintings, they look great! I can't believe he'll be here so soon, I remember being so anxious that last week. Hopefully you're able to get some sleep!

AndersenFamily said...

That is darling. I love the dog theme and you are right about it being subtle. How fun to have a new little boy in your family. Good luck!

Angie said...

Wow, that is so cute. I guess the "Peterson girl craft genes" really pay off! Good fabric choice. Can't wait to see some picture of the little guy soon!