Friday, January 30, 2009

Yesterday I went and saw Bradley four times at the hospital. It's been great to have the support of family to go with me since Jeremy's been back to work and can usually only make it to the hospital at night to see Brad.

Anyway, Brad's doing pretty well, but he was struggling to eat on most of the feedings. He acted like he wanted to eat, but didn't feel well and I think his tummy or the NG Tube or probably both were bugging him.

The 2:00 feeding was the worst. He just struggled and struggled to finish his bottle and I finally coaxed him into eating everything but about a fourth of an ounce, but no matter how little the amount that's left, they want him to eat every drop. So the nurse came over and was trying to help him finish and he was crying and not wanting it and she kept threatening to just put the remainder milk through the NG Tube. But I did NOT want to start all over again with the NG Tube because even though it was still in, he hadn't needed to use it for 24 hours. (One of the requirements for him to come home is to have all his feedings by bottle only (no tube) for 48 to 72 hours.) So I kept being an annoying mother and stressing how I didn't want them to use the tube and to just keep trying the bottle. And the nurse kept being an annoying nurse and saying how he had spent an hour eating when they only are supposed to give them half an hour to eat anyway. In the end, she sort of gave up and I left worried that the next feeding he might need it. He didn't, thank goodness, and the rest of the night he ate really good for the night shift nurse and today's nurse. They took the tube out this morning and he looks great.

Jeremy and I had to watch a CPR video last night and we had Grandpa Mark bring his carseat because they have them do a "Carseat Test" where they watch their oxygen levels while they sit in their carseat for two hours. Brad passed that test and a hearing test, so it looks like we're hopefully on track to bring him home this weekend! He keeps having a small issue with gaining weight, so it's sort of dependant on that now.

It's been nice to be close to the hospital at my parent's house, but we're going to come home tonight. It's been hard on Miranda for all the changes going on, and she's ready to go home I think. I forgot my camera's SD card at home in the computer, so I'll try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You are the mommy and you can be as annoying as you want, and look, you were right to stick to it!
I am so glad he is making continued progress, I hope he continues to gain a little more weight, can't wait to see him happy in his cute puppy room!