Monday, February 22, 2010

A Little about My "To Do List" and My "Wish List"

We are moving Saturday--finally! I'm excited to move on to the next stage of life in a new place, but I'll really miss my good neighbors and friends here. Thank goodness for FB and blogs to help stay in touch!

The past two weeks have been very busy and so I'm feeling a little unprepared for the moving process, but thanks to Jeremy, we got a plan last night (for my sake--I love to write lists.) Now I just need to start crossing things off the "To Do List".

Just a couple notes on the last week, I did a GNO where I taught a few neighbors how to do fondant cakes. It was a lot of fun and their cakes turned out so great! I spent a lot of time last week making six batches of fondant and getting the cakes and all my tools gathered, but I didn't want them to pay me for it. They were so sweet, though, and bought me this wonderful "Thank You" gift that brought tears to my eyes! It's some fun tools for working with fondant with I have had on my "Wish List"--a non-stick rolling pin, rolling pin rings, flower cut-outs, and bake even strips for cakes.
I didn't take pictures from the fondant class, but I have pictures of the cakes I made for a baby shower on Saturday. It was for my good friend from Jr. High/High School/College. She had her baby a couple weeks early, so her shower was postponed a couple of months.

I made two cakes, one for the baby girl and one for her mommy. I haven't done much piping on fondant, so I wanted to try that out, but I found out it's much harder to get the perfect consistency for piping on fondant because it doesn't stick as easily as it does to buttercream frosting. After two batches of frosting and over an hour trying to get it right, I finally got something that would work, but I need to perfect the process for sure!

Wish me a product week-- I have a couple days worth of things I need to get done before I start packing up the house!

5 comments:

cleverly content said...

p.s. the cakes taste as good as they look.

rachel said...

Thank you so very much for making those cakes! They turned out so cute and very professional looking- I was very impressed. And they taste as good as they look for sure!

Jen said...

Yes...cakes were delish! Good luck with the move!

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Darling cakes. What a talent. How exciting - a move!

Wendi said...

Wow, every time I catch up on your blog I'm hit with an overwhelming urge to craft! You do such adorable stuff. You remind me a lot of my older sister (who is also named Heidi, ironically). She also decorates cakes. She has six kids now, so she's not crafting as much right now, but she and you do such beautiful work. I love it.

I did some flat potato heads out of felt (finally). I'll try to get my pics up on the blog soon. :)